The Band Directors’ Association (Singapore) [新加坡教师管乐协会], also known as BDA(S), was founded in 1996 for professional band directors who are directing/teaching wind/brass bands in the local schools, tertiary institutions and the respective community groups. It is a non-profit organization involving active band directors, who serve as volunteers in the executive council, who meet regularly to discuss resources and programmes needed to continue the professional development of the band movement in Singapore.
BDA(S) organizes workshops and seminars regularly for their members and the band community. With these activities, we aim to develop and sustain communication among professionals who are directly involved in the band community. BDA(S) also serves as a professional body for our band directors to engage in constant communication and discussion with all ministries involved in the development and improvement of band curriculum and instructions.
We continuously strive for a balance in the band programme and to maintain a perspective for the holistic educational development of the learner. Our mission and vision are constantly reviewed to ensure that it remains relevant, and to be in line with the government policies of value and exposure for our members.
The objectives of the Association shall be:
- To develop, promote, organize and co-ordinate the band programme in schools, junior colleges and centralised institutes;
- To provide human resources and programmes to develop and improve skills and leadership behaviour that focus on achieving instructional goals in band curriculum and instructions;
- To conduct talks, workshops, courses, seminars, conventions and symposiums to advance the study and teachings of bands;
- To organize and conduct educational excursions, trips, tours, festivals and other events for the promotion and advancement of the band programme;
- To review and disseminate information on educational practice, media, research and materials for improving band curriculum and instruction;
- To develop and sustain communication among all groups of professionals directly involved with the development and improvement of band curriculum and instructions;
- To identify, study and evaluate issues in band supervision, curriculum and instructions;
- To encourage research, evaluation and theory development in the areas of band curriculum, supervision and instruction;
- To strive for balance in the band programme and to maintain a perspective for the holistic education of the learner.
All of the foregoing objects of the Association shall be deemed to be for the purpose of developing and improving the band programme, curriculum, supervision and instruction.
2017 – 2022 Mr Adrian Chiang
2015 – 2017 Mr Andrew Kuek
2013 – 2015 Mr Faizal Othman
2007 – 2013 Mr Brando Tan Heng Pong
2002 – 2007 Mr David Anthony Glosz
1996 – 2002 Mrs Jessie Ho-Tan
BDAS is a member of the Asia Pacific Band Directors’ Association (APBDA)